The mission of Virginia Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, Inc. is to provide educational and research services to professionals involved in providing dental services, dental students, dental hygienists and the general public concerning sleep related breathing disorders. This mission will be accomplished in numerous ways which include but are not limited to the following:
Education and Research:
1) To educate the practicing dentist about the medical and dental complications regarding sleep related breathing disorders,
2) To educate the practicing dentist in the protocol for the screening of patients who could possibly have a sleep related breathing disorder,
3) To educate dentists and physicians concerning the opportunities to work together in the treatment of their patients with sleep related breathing disorders which include snoring and sleep apnea,
4) To promote continuing education of the dental practitioner in all phases of dental sleep medicine,
5) To enlighten and educate the public concerning the health problems related to sleep related breathing disorders and the dentist’s role in screening and referring to the appropriate medical practitioners for definitive diagnosis,
6) To educate the public as to the role dentists have in the treatment of patients with a sleep related breathing disorder,
7) To educate dental students, dental hygienists, and dental assistants about the role of the dentist and the dental team in the screening, referring and treatment of patients with sleep related breathing disorders,
8) To sponsor research (which includes basic scientific and medical research as well as clinical and transitional research) directed at improving the outcome of treatment provided to those suffering with sleep related breathing disorders,
9) To provide educational services directed to the dental community and the general public which promote a greater understanding of those suffering with sleep related breathing disorders,
10) To sponsor Dentists and/or Dental researchers engaged in research dedicated to improving the outcomes of those suffering with sleep related breathing disorders
11) To provide assistance to researchers, residents, and dental students, which enables them to travel and present the findings of their research at professional conferences so as to promote and provide optimal treatment for those suffering with sleep related breathing disorders,
12) To assist those suffering with sleep related breathing disorders who are unable to afford treatment, as approved by the Board of the Virginia Academy of Dental Sleep Medicine, Inc.
13) To raise funds to support educational and awareness programs aimed at educating the public concerning those suffering with sleep related breathing disorders, its risk factors, signs, symptoms and treatment.